Friday, July 5, 2013

Life with Leukemia: Biopsy De Jour

Tyler didn't end up getting his biopsy, you know, the one where they stick his lung with a needle, until 2:30 which was fine, it's not like he was starving or anything... No, but really he was a good sport about it. We got to visit with my parents and Sawyer. We love seeing that little boy. He loves his daddy! He always gives Tyler the biggest hugs and kisses. He is walking and talking even more, it only makes him more darling, if that's even possible. He loves to wave at all the people walking by. He met the sweet social worker here and gave her his best head tilt-shy face. He doesn't love shoes. But he's a boy and he'll learn.
When they FINALLY came and got Ty, they wheeled him away, bed and all. He said the procedure wasn't bad. He was under conscious sedation, so he kind of knew what was going on, but can hardly remember it.
I watched some TV and ordered lunch, because what kind of wife would I have been to eat in front of him right? When he came back in he was pretty coherent. His breathing was better then it had been in the morning. He had a bandage on his chest and was covered in iodine residue. Overall he felt good. He did say it felt like someone had punched him in the chest ya, well it's not everyday you get a needle stuck in your lungs sweetheart.
He's such a good sport about all of this. The doctors today even commented on his good attitude and how they appreciated it. They said most people get really frustrated at this point and get mean. We feel blessed because that really hasn't even crossed our minds yet. We feel like Heavenly Father is bringing us peace and comfort daily.
And let me tell you, I can get annoyed pretty easy, like when I'm driving, or waiting in line at the grocery store, or waiting on hold... you get the idea. But when it comes to the road rage, I usually take it upon myself to tell them how I feel about it. Which brings me to a lesson I've learned while going through this all.
As we drove to Huntsman two short weeks ago I drove fast, safe, but fast. I just knew that if I got pulled over I had a good excuse. I mean why wouldn't, "I'm sorry officer my husband just found out he has cancer and we are headed to the hospital" work? It's the ultimate excuse!
Any way so after thinking about that a little I wondered, how many times have I been cut off or something by someone who was really just driving in a daze because they just found out their husband has cancer? Or some other crazy life changing event. I have since vowed to be a less angry cuz I can't commit fully driver and try to remember the day I had to drive like a crazy person, did I say crazy person? I meant calm, fast driver... to get my husband to a hospital.
This experience is definitely teaching us patience in so many ways and it's amazing because I always knew, one day, when I had a life changing lesson I would FEEL it!  I knew it would be something tangible that I would totally recognize as a huge change in me.
But it's not like that...
It just is.
I just am.
Shows what I really know.
I appreciate the people who have helped us see it, by pointing it out, otherwise I might have missed it.
 
Back from my tangent,
 
We really are on an episode of House now no joke I've seen the whiteboard! We meet with three different teams, Oncology, Infectious Disease, and Pulmonary, each day who are trying their hardest to figure out what the heck is happening in my husbands body! We know they will get it, and in the mean time we are on our best behavior so they don't send us back to the U :) I'm kidding I'm kidding... Kind of
So Tyler has felt well since this afternoon. They did take him down for a chest x-ray that showed all was well at the point where they stuck the needle in. We haven't heard if there is more fluid buildup around his lungs, but know we will be asking about that first thing tomorrow. For now he is in a drug induced sleep :)
Best part of the day has to be that he did NOT get a fever all day!!! I guess there is still a couple hours left, but I'm feeling confident he wont just in case, if you will all knock on some wood that may help.
I am also doing great, because I know you are wondering. I took a nap when Tyler came back from his procedure. Waiting around eating and watching TV is rough on me. No one let me complain about being tired when I get home. I nap all the time!! In my defense it does take me till about midnight to fall asleep and then I'm woken up by 6 or 7.

No comments: