Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Life with Leukemia: Home Sweet Home

Yesterday morning, after spending 16 days in the hospital, our doctors told us that Tyler could go home! They wanted to see his final blood tests results and such, but that didn't stop me from packing up my things. We spent a lot of time chatting with our sweet nurse about what to expect at home and all sorts of other things. Tyler showered and ate. The nurse came in and pulled out his picc line! That was cool to watch. I took a picture of it, and once I get to uploading them you can see how long it was. The last 30 mins seemed to drag on, but eventually we had gotten our meds, signed the paperwork, and found a way to carry all 7 bags of belongings we had collected, you'd think I had lived there months! They had Tyler wheeled out in a wheelchair.
As we left all the nurses said their goodbyes and there girl pushing us asked how long we had been there, because everyone seemed to know us. I explained Tylers charming ways to her. jk jk, I think the fact that we were some of the youngest people there and some of the least sick, in comparison, it was easier to have conversations with us. And tyler really did turn on the charm.
It was a bittersweet moment, leaving, but we are happy to be home.
We came home to a happy baby boy awaiting our arrival. Our house had been cleaned from top to bottom, our laundry done, and food was being brought in. What more could we ask for?! Thank you to everyone who took a part in that! It was a relief not to come home to the house I left two weeks ago, picture a tornado aftermath.
People had decorated our driveway and porch. There were sweet notes written on hearts all over the house.
We were thrilled to be home!
 
Tyler had a hard nights sleep. I'm not sure he slept much at all. I know I didn't.
The day went better. Sawyer was so excited to see my face this morning.
Our follow-up that was supposed to be Wed, got changed to today. After taking some extra time to shower, so these people would know that I have another hair style then messy bun, and Tyler taking time to shove his very bloated feet into his shoes. (at one point at the hospital I couldn't help but laughing as I walked behind him. His poor feet) We headed back up at 11 and didn't get home till around 5. We had to sign more paperwork and Tyler had a few more labs to do. We LOVE the new nurse that we will be working with. She is great and really put us at ease.
As we waited for the lab peeps, a guy walked up that we recognized. I did a double take and remembered him as the guy who sold us our bedroom furniture a few months ago! He recognized us, but it was as we were going in so we didn't get to chat, but what a small world!
I love how happy all the employees are.
We swung by the pharmacy real quick to see if one more of Ty's meds had come in. It had, but they wanted $1000 for a 12 day supply! Our nurse jumped right on that and is taking care of it.
After, we went back to the 4th floor (our home) to ask the nurses a quick question. We got to say goodbye to a few nurses that we hadn't yesterday. Again, I love how they love us, or at least how they pretend to ;)
Our room is already filled, a little sad about that.
In true Tyler fashion, Tyler worked for an hour tonight. He called the guy that has been subbing for him and asked if he could take the call back. His people were happy he was back! He was so happy when the hour was up. I know of no one who loves there job like my husband, I think he's a little insane.
We went for a little walk tonight and chatted with a few neighbors. It's nice to be back to normal. Tyler is looking forward to catching up with everyone!
If your in the neighborhood, check in! We might just be up for a visit :)
Tyler will start his actual Leukemia meds on Monday. Until then lets all pray I can keep his other ones straight.
Here's to a better nights sleep and a slower day tomorrow.

2 comments:

Markie said...

You are an entertaining writer, I love it. I'm so glad you guys are home and hope you guys adjust quickly! Thinking of your family! You're such a great woman Corinne... keep up the positivity.

Corinne & Tyler Craig said...

Thanks Markie! I'm so glad to be home too! Also good to know people are reading this haha