Sunday, July 21, 2013

Life with Leukemia: A Yard Sale and a Hospital

All has been well the last couple of days. We are still adjusting. Tyler is still trying to figure out how to sleep.
Friday morning my darling pregnant well she isn't pregnant anymore! friend Lacey asked me to go to a yard sale with her. I LOVE yard sale shopping who am I kidding, I love ANY shopping so I got Sawyer ready to go and we left. This particular yard sale was in Highland, it was a friend of hers.
It was HUGE! There were a couple of families involved, always the best kind. Lacey's friend had tons of baby clothes so we searched through it for things for her new little girl and my big boy. And man are girls clothes cute!! As we are sifting through these peoples things I started to think I could want to live in Highland! It was such a pretty neighborhood, so clean. The houses were all amazing. I started to picture my life here. Then I started looking around and quickly realized I would NOT fit in here. It was 8am and here I am in my black yoga pants and a shirt I bought at Wal-Mart. I can't even remember if I brushed my hair, but I know I did not put makeup on but I wore sunglasses so no one would know the different right? And here are these highland folk... fully dressed in the trendiest clothes! Hair and makeup done! One girl was even wearing a fedora. I came to the realization I'm too lazy couture wise to be able to live and keep up with these girls. I love where I live too much to want to leave anyhow. And I am in no way saying the people I live with out here are not trendy or cute, they are just practical. Who wants to get up extra early to get done up for yard sales? Well, maybe some of you do... I don't know...Did I just offend people?
ANYWAY, as I am checking out, because yes they had a checkout line, I looked at my phone and saw that I missed a few calls from Ty. I hurry and call him back, this annoys Mr. Highland because how rude can I be? I didn't know how to explain to him that my husband has cancer and I HAVE to answer any and all phone calls that come from him, so I just said "sorry my husband is really sick". Tyler starts telling me that the chest pain that's been lingering is getting worse and he's concerned. Which of course, concerns me. We hurry and pay and start driving home.
Tyler calls again and says it's even worse! I told him I would be calling 911. He decided it wasn't THAT bad. Instead, I called nurse M and she told me to take him to the ER. I relayed that to Lacey, she works at our dr's office, and she said she would get us in there (which she did, bless her heart). Our neighbor brought Tyler to the office. The doctor there was so nice, he's up against Dr. D for kindest doc. He thought it could be a couple of things
1. A blood clot yikes!
or
2. Pleurisy (go here to learn what that is, but keep in mind Ty only had chest pain)
 
Tyler had a chest X-ray, which didn't show a whole lot so next step was a CT scan. We had to have that done at Timp. From that scan, they are sure it is pleurisy, but there isn't an infection or anything crazy, just a little swelling. We have had Tyler on ibuprofen and a heating pad (thanks Lexi) since and he is doing tons better. We are glad that it wasn't anything crazy!
I checked in with the ID team (Dr. W) as Ty was doing the scan and he assured me that this was exactly what we should be doing. And he was glad that we were taking action on the pain. Add another Doctor to the kind list!
Monday we have an appointment with Dr. W, already scheduled before this incident, and he will take a look at the x-rays and scan to double check them, but he was even sure, just from the sound of it, that it was pleurisy.
On another note:
We have been trying to find ways to help Tyler sleep better and longer. He still wakes up 2 or 3 times a night and it's wearing on him. If anyone has any ideas, we would love to hear them. We do plan on asking the docs on Monday, but he doesn't want to be relying on meds to sleep for the rest of his life.
Also:
Congrats to my friends and family Nisha and Adam, AJ and Lacey, Amanda and Jeff, and Allyson and Mickele on the birth of their darling baby girls! I wish I could steal them all and keep them as my own!!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am going to head out tomorrow and buy a fedora to cover up second-day (or who's-counting-day) hair. We have to class up this neighborhood. :)

Anonymous said...

Corinne, there's a natural supplement called Melatonin that you can find at Walgreens or any other retailer. Just take one pill about 20 minutes before bedtime. This might help. Thank.

Donnie Lee

Corinne & Tyler Craig said...

Jennifer... You do know we have 10 Jens in our neighborhood, so I'm taking a wild guess at which one you are ;) I really do think we have plenty of class here! I hope I didn't come off rude. I love where I live!
Donnie, we tried melatonin, he says it didn't work :( I may try it again with him. Thanks so much!

Lindsey Bunjes said...

I have also used melatonin, works great. Also lavender oil which I have tons of and you are welcome to some!