Friday, July 12, 2013

Life with Leukemia: Back to normal (some what normal) life

So night two at home was MUCH better! It may have been that we were finally settled in, it may have been the prayers, it may have been the oxycodone... Either way, we will take it! Wednesday was definitely slower for us. We slept a ton! we do a lot of that. I went with my parents and Sawyer to check out Scheels. He really liked the fish tank and he was mesmerized by the Ferris wheel, but I'm no dummy, he would have lost it had I tried to take him on it.
We picked up a toy compound bow for Tyler, thinking it would be a fun gift, but it really was made for a little kid. Which I should have guessed front the picture of the 5 yr old on the box. I had high hopes...  So we will take it back and look for another fun toy.
Tyler decided to try to take another call. He did just one and said that was enough. I know he misses it. weirdo.
We got a call from the dr's office. Ty's platelets were super high and his red blood cells (There's another word for that... hemo-goblin.. jk  but really something like that) are low. So they asked us to come back in Thursday. They must know how much I miss the place. Ty had a friend come visit that night (wed). He loves seeing everyone! We were brought another delicious dinner. It was a good day.
 
Thursday we got up bright and early and drove up to Huntsman. It was a quicker visit. They drew labs and we waited to hear what his numbers were. In the meantime the nurse came out. We talked about Ty's lung biopsy, which showed........ absolutely NOTHING!
This guys body...
Dr.D thinks the fevers could really be attributed to his CML. I guess we will never really know, and that's ok because he's better now.
His numbers came back and were a little better. Thank goodness. If things had changed too much he would have needed a transfusion, which would mean coming in on Friday.
They did tell us that his platelets were in the 1 mil range and should only be about 200,000. What an overachiever.
This appointment I noticed 4 couples sitting in the waiting room with us. They were all around our age. Who knew cancer hit so many young people?
We came home and... you guessed it, napped again! Tyler woke up before me and went to do some work. I eventually got up and got ready to go to girls camp. OH I'm so glad I went! I was able to be there to hear from our stake presidency, eat dinner, and have a testimony meeting with my girls. They are amazing YW! I'm sad I missed the week of awesome activities they had. I loved hearing their testimonies and sharing mine with them. I think my most favorite part had to be just getting there. The leaders hadn't told them I was coming. It's always a great feeling to see people get excited when they realize you've showed up!
I reluctantly left around 11:30 and made the trip home. I hate mountain roads a night, can someone please tell the deer to go to sleep when it gets dark and NOT come out for midnight snacks! I did make it home safely though.

No comments: