Sunday, July 28, 2013

Life with Leukemia: Weekend Update

Dr. H from the ID team called Tyler on Thursday. Tyler is always so witty. When she said who it was calling he responded with "Hey! I hope you're calling because you have good news for me" They never call with good news.
But! It wasn't terrible news either. His numbers were just off from Mondays blood work. his WBC (white blood count, remember that for the future) has risen and his potassium levels are high. Nothing too crazy, but they had us go to our doctor down here for some more blood test just to recheck, of course they wont get the labs until tomorrow when we go in anyways... so I think we wasted that office's time...
Other then that we are the same. Tyler was exhausted from our relaxing trip to Fillmore so he slept pretty well.
He has been able to work all his calls and attend all his church meetings, plus the ones I make him go to!
His brother on a mission claims his letters are less exciting now that Ty is out of the hospital and I have to agree, life is pretty boring these days. But we will take it.
Tonight we went to a trek wrap up fireside. It was great. I really enjoyed my trek experience and the growth that I gained from it. Looking back I see the Lord's hand in getting me to and through trek. I wasn't initially invited to trek.
I assumed I was going, but they had enough people and didn't need me. Also, I'm sure they knew my husband wouldn't go no not because he has cancer, but because he does not enjoy camping.
So I wasn't going.
While on a trip with my Laurels to Salt Lake the sister in charge of trek randomly, or so it seemed, invited me to go. It caught me off guard. I told her I would talk to Tyler and let her know. Knowing all along I would say yes, I asked Tyler if he minded then let her know I would be going. I was thrilled, but a little nervous about attending without my husband. I tried guilting him into going many times, however Tyler will NOT be swayed by peer pressure of any kind... ever. Just ask him.
June came and at 5 am in the morning I was walking to the stake center with Lexi and Jordan. It was a 6 hour drive to Martins Cove, a drive I was dreading. It turned out to be the fastest car ride of my life. Thanks to the great company I had.
We were all given names of people to trek for. Mine was a single woman. Fitting. And as I trekked I could feel the sorrow she must have felt being alone as she walked so many miles. It was painful to watch the other couples support and comfort each other. for reals, it was three days and I'm just a huge baby, but I felt it! I felt the courage she would have had to have during our womens pull and the sadness she would have felt when the men would return and celebrate being reunited with their wives. I felt the loneliness she must have known as I walked the trail without a hand to hold. I considered her alone feelings at night, but I slept on an air mattress with Lex so I was fine then. I also felt her strength as I realized that I could do hard things. I could push forward and have faith that this was for my good. I could find the amazing blessings along the way, like square dancing with my youth, bonding with these awesome YW and YM that I serve, making new friends and strengthening relationships with adults in my ward. I could have a positive attitude and help lift others. I enjoyed trek, and I realize it more each time I think about it.
But tonight as I sat in the fireside I saw trek for what it really was for me.
 It was preparation, the Lord knows our paths, HE KNEW what I was coming home to. No more than two weeks later did Tyler get sick. I was still on my "I appreciate my husband because I missed him so much" high and was willing to do any and all things for him. Then one week later he was diagnosed with Leukemia. And that's when I had to remember I CAN DO HARD THINGS. I know this because I told it to my youth in my testimony, and I told them they could too. Of course once I put it out there it had to be tested right?
I can't let myself down. I need to know I can do it. I want to be strengthened by our trials. 
I will forever be grateful for the trek leader who followed whatever prompting she had to invite me to trek, she can now write down a 22nd miracle on her list.
Again, looking back I see the small miracles that prepped us for this new life of ours and I'm glad we were ready.
 

2 comments:

Nisha said...

Are air mattresses allowed on Trek? I wouldn't know...I've never trekked.

Corinne & Tyler Craig said...

i hope it was! the bishop brought it :)