Thursday, October 21, 2010

My encounter with someone better then me

Today was a long day.... At work it was just a half day. It felt long though because of the stress I felt once leaving work. Unfortunately it was also grocery shopping day, so I headed to Smiths. I walked in feeling blah. I definitely wasn't happy, I felt pretty lonely. I wandered the different aisles trying to find the best ways to use up my coupons before the expire, and yet trying not to buy things I don't need. I found myself in the aisle with razors. I noticed an older man scoping out the razor selection looking quite perplexed.
Let's pause for a minute though so I can explain my deep rooted affection for elderly people. I don't know what it is, but show me one who seems confused or in need of help and I want to cry. My heart literally aches for them.
Ok, so today I felt that ache, but kept on walking instead of offering help and showing him the razors that I knew were on sale. I was pretty selfish.
I finished my shopping and picked a line that seemed short enough. Low and behold I am right behind my little old friend who I did not help. I watched as he got ready to pay for his overpriced razors and my heart hurt even more. Luckily Heavenly Father doesn't just rely on me to follow his promptings. Our lovely cashier asked him to sit tight for a second and ran over to the table where all the sale priced razors (that I have recently stocked up on) were sitting. I wanted to crawl into a hole... She brought them back and even took the time to explain the similarities and prices savings to him! His face lit up. He thanked her. Tears, real live ones, fell from my eyes. haha I'm sure people thought I was crazy. I did not think I would be able to even say anything to her when it was my turn. Luckily I hadn't lost my power of voice and I made sure to tell her how kind she was. If only she knew how kind I hadn't been.
I guess this all seems silly to anyone but me. But I truly think it was Heavenly Father giving me a chance to feel his love and help one of his children on a day where I felt so far from him and I regret not jumping on that chance. I'm grateful there are others out there more willing than I am. I'm glad I was still able to feel his love as I watched someone else take that opportunity, it truly brightened my whole day. If only Ronda knew what she had done.


p.s. I had to reword this for fear of retribution.

2 comments:

Nisha said...

Oh man, I can totally see myself doing the same thing :( Ouch.

Cassie said...

You ARE a good person-you help people ALL the time. Especially me! Thanks for sharing that story. We all need a reminder now and then to be better. I am so proud of you and so happy to have you close by!