Thursday, September 20, 2012

California

 This last weekend we took a trip out to California to pick up Tylers younger brother from the Marines. We also spent a few days with my family. Sawyer did good on the plane rides... it could have been better, but it could have been worse. They let me wear him in the Bjorn through security which was nice. I had to have my hands swabbed for chemicals. There were no issues with the milk I brought (which I was worried about). It was a smooth process. I boarded the plane first and Sawyer realized something was different. He started getting really fussy. I fed him for takeoff, which helped, but wasn't enough. So we sang the ants go marching one by one... till we got to ten by ten. Sawyer LOVES this song so instead of crying he was laughing hysterically, I think people enjoy a laughing baby better then a crying one. Eventually, he fell asleep and all was well.
 After a day at my parents we drove down to beautiful San Diego. It was my first time (well sorta second) on a military base. The searched our entire car before we could get in. Once in we went into a courtyard type area and were given instructions on how the next two days would go, but honestly we just wanted to see Cory! They had us line up outside in their parking lot and the guys ran up and got into formation in front of us. They were there for just a little bit then ran off again. We got to see them in formation once more and then were taken into a theater where we learned more about what Cory had been up to. After that we went back outside and FINALLY got to be with Cory.
 Sawyer was a champ! It was hot and uncomfortable for him, and he definitely had his moments, but he stuck it out with us.
 Sawyer and I had seen Cory, but he had to run back to his room and get some things for us so this was the first time Tyler got to see it. Tyler is seriously the most proud brother! Don't believe me? You should see the pin he bought.
 Cory doesn't love his glasses and my kid hates the sun.
 The first night we went to Sea Port village and ate dinner at Busters Where we had the most delicious dessert.

 Day 2 was graduation. I listened more then watched as once again Sawyer didn't enjoy being stuck in cramped spaces (the bleachers) forced to sit on my lap. He and I hung out behind the bleachers. Tyler texted me half was through to let me know he could still hear Sawyer crying... oops
 See the pin on Tylers shirt?? Also, noticed the covered baby. poor kid.
 All official marine pics, Cory isn't smiling so we told him to smile for ours. It took some encouraging, but we got it.
 Finally, some shade!!! Check out sawyers awesome onsie!
 We are pretty sure that pack weighed more then Tyler and I combined. But, Cory wasn't allowed to carry it so Tyler did it for him.
 Cory really wanted an ice cream sandwich so before we left we went into the store to get him one, just his luck the freezer with the icecream had broken and all the ice cream sandwiches had melted, so we got him dibs instead.
 After a long 5 hour drive home from SD Sawyer was pooped. Normally it takes about 2 hours to get home, but we got stuck behind a chemical spill on the freeway which completely stopped the freeway. We were enjoying our slow moving traffic when I noticed the engine smoking, we pulled over. A nice lady stopped and gave us some antifreeze and some tips on how to handle an overheating car. Also, she let me use her cell phone, because both of ours were dead!
 Sawyer has been a chewing, drooling monster. He doesn't like chew toys much, just mine or his hands. My mom had a teething ring frozen though and he loved that!
Because it was so hot and my poor baby couldn't stand it he got a nice cool bath pretty much everyday we were there. As you can tell him thoroughly enjoyed it! We also took him into the pool, he didn't seem to care either way with that. 
We have decided that our family (well Tyler and Sawyer) don't do great with heat. We are pretty sure Tyler got some heat stroke and we know Sawyer was a sweaty mess. We will stick to winter and Spring visits to California from now on.

No comments: