Saturday, June 29, 2013

Life with Leukemia: Thoracentesis, because I know you want to know.

Since being here Tyler has developed a sort of shortness of breath and dry cough. It got bad sometimes and made it so he couldn't talk. Or so that he sounded like a 90 year old man with asthma. I would have to talk him through breathing, because it obviously made him nervous. By day 2 or 3 the doctors could actually see the labored breathing and ordered oxygen for him. That definitely helped, but didn't fix the problem. Eventually he had another scan done (this was like probably the 5th) and they could see fluid sitting beneath his left lung. The next morning they ordered a Thoracentesis. A procedure where they drain the fluid. This first one the girl just took enough to sample. They wanted to make sure that it wasn't infected and causing the fevers. The next day he was still coughing and so the main team of doctors ordered a second Thoracentesis to drain all of it. They used an ultrasound machine to find the fluid then drew marks on his back. They do numb the spot, so Tyler said it wasn't so bad. The worst part was just sitting up and so still for it. He got uncomfortable before they even went in for the fluid. 
I'm sure you all want to details so let me explain what I saw happen, you're welcome to research it on your own too. Once the area is numb a super long needle is inserted. They place it just above a rib, because the bottom of a rib is way more tender then the top, who knew? Probably you people who paid attention in school. The needle has a plastic tube covering so once the needle is far enough in, they actually slide it back out and leave the tube in. They pulled out 33cc's with a syringe to get it started. Next they hook up the tube in him to a vacuum tube of sorts that drains into a bottle. Then it just comes rushing out. They filled that bottle to about 400cc's. He couldn't feel any of it and I insisted he look at the fluid after. Even though it wasn't as much as they usually drain I could tell it was enough to make a difference. 
Any procedure they do, big or small, wipes Tyler out. So he fell asleep. We sleep a lot so I can't remember exactly at what point, but eventually he woke up from his nap. I had left to go make a call (and walk to the other side of the building to use the facilities) and when I came back Tyler was sitting in a chair chatting with the nurses. They had changed his bedding and his gown, normally this all is stuff he holds off on because he wants to just stay in bed. He looked so much better and was sounding great. He got tired quickly, but it was a different tired. More normal then a I'm going to be sick and die (no ones dying on my watch) tired. He fell back asleep and had an awesome nights sleep. I did hear him complain to the nurses about some random bought of itching, but he didn't seem too concerned this morning about that. 
Today he woke up, and still feels good. He's already back down for a nap, but he ate his breakfast by himself while I showered. Also a HUGE step! The eating by himself, not my showering.
Speaking of our morning, right outside my window today were two deer. I felt like I was at the zoo behind this glass window, they were so close!
Our nurse yesterday, M, was fantastic and we get her again today. Which makes me wonder, do the nurses pick the patients or are the assigned to them daily?
Thank you all for loving us! I read Tyler all of your comments and texts. Someone even made us a meme, stuff like that brightens his day. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Okay, so I love gross details, so what color was the fluid that came out of his lungs? If it makes him feel better, tell him that when I had mastitis with Sophie, they had to do that to my BREAST! The worst part was being able to see it.

Next question - if the fluid wasn't infected, what is causing his fever?